Following are the expected categories as well as the tentative placement criteria for the spring 2022 season. We find ourselves in challenging times due to the fact that we have only been able to conduct one race in the last two season (race #1 from 2020). Because our placement system is based upon having large amounts of race data from previous seasons to best place riders in the most appropriate category, we are coming into the season with extremely limited data to make these placements. Due to these large irregularities, returning rider placements were created using limited data but the only data available.
One additional note FOR THIS SEASON ONLY is that if you complete your first race in a given category and decide you would like to race in a less competitive category (ie: Varsity to JV2, Middle School Level 3 to Level 2, or JV2 to JV1) you may send an email to email@example.com with your full name, team (or independent), the category you completed your first race in, and the category you would like to complete your next race in. We must receive the email ahead of race registration closing for the race (Monday night ahead of race weekend at 11:59 PM).
Please note that the BETTER way to handle this is simply to start the season in your default category and NOT petition to move to a more competitive category prior to the racing. Then, if you want to move to a more competitive category — petition AFTER you raced in your default category. Also note that season standings in a given high school category (for example Varsity Girls) are based on the 4 highest finishes out of the 5 races available. In other words, if you miss a race — that’s your “throw out race” or “low score”. If you change categories after ONE race you have FOUR more races in your new category meaning your season total is based on those four races meaning you don’t have an additional “throw out race” to use.
If, once you review this entire page, you have questions on the process or ensuring your rider is in the most appropriate category possible, please email Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org. When contacting please be certain to include your rider’s first and last name.
Middle School Defined
“Middle School” applies to student-athletes in 6th, 7th and 8th grade in the Spring of 2022. 6th graders in “elementary school” may participate in middle school programming. 9th graders in a “middle school” or “junior high school” compete in the freshman category at the high school level.
Middle school philosophy in the SoCal League is that student-athletes in middle school, while they may race, should focus on fun and fitness and less on the placement related outcome of racing. Thus, while we do present awards in each category at each race, there is no team component to the scoring and there are no season long individual standings and thus no race call ups.
Middle School Categories
- Girls Level 1 grades 6-8, Level 2 grades 6-8, and Level 3 grades 7/8
- Boys Level 1 grade 6, Level 1 grade 7, Level 1 grade 8, Level 2 grades 6/7, Level 2 grade 8, and Level 3 grades 7/8
Middle School Placement for THIS season
- New riders race in the Level 1 category available to their grade.
- Returning 8th grade riders (riders who participated in 6th grade at race #1 in spring 2020) race in the category assigned on the “2022 SoCal League Middle School Returning Rider Placements” sheet.
Middle School Petition Path for THIS season
- Any rider in a Level 1 category may be moved to a Level 2 category with a simple email from their Team Director or Head Coach.
- Any rider wishing to move to a Level 3 category must submit a petition.
– Petition Form HERE
– Past Results HERE
– 2022 Middle School Returning Rider Placements Spreadsheet HERE
High School Defined
“High School” applies to student-athletes in grades 9-12 in the Spring of 2022. 9th graders in a “middle school” or “junior high school” compete in the freshman category at the high school level.
High School Categories
- Girls Freshman, JV1, JV2, and Varsity
- Boys Freshman, JV1, JV2, and Varsity
High School Placement for THIS season
- New riders in 9th grade race Freshman
- New riders in grades 10-12 race JV1
- Returning 11th or 12th grade riders (riders who participated in 9th or 10th grade at race #1 in spring 2020) race in the category assigned on the “2022 SoCal League High School Returning Rider Placements” sheet.
High School Petition Path for THIS season
- Any rider in the Freshman or JV1 category may be moved to the JV2 category with a simple email from their Team Director or Head Coach.
- Any rider wishing to move to Varsity must submit a petition.