The SoCal High School Cycling League was organized in 2008 to provide a well defined race season for high school student athletes and to promote the formation of teams at public and private high schools. In 2014 that grew to include a middle school program designed to introduce middle school aged riders to the sport of mountain biking focused heavily on skills, fun, fitness, and responsibility with a taste of the competitive aspects of mountain biking. With the cooperation of local race promoters and our sponsors we produce a first class series of races in addition to providing training for coaches and riders. The League is working to make high school racing the easiest way for youth to get involved in the challenging and exciting world of competitive cycling.
We believe that cross-country mountain biking is the ‘T-Ball’ of the cycling world and in addition to succeeding at the international level of mountain biking, we’ve also seen many (NorCal) League athletes go on to succeed in road racing and collegiate cycling. Several League alumni athletes from our sister league in NorCal are now racing on professional teams at events like the Tour of California and the Sea Otter Classic.
In the first NorCal series in 2001 mountain bikers from schools all over Northern California answered the call and came to compete as semi-organized high school teams. The idea caught on and ultimately led to the founding of the SoCal League as well as the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA). As of 2013 there are NICA leagues active in NorCal, SoCal, Texas, New York, Colorado, Utah, Minnesota, Arizona, and Tennessee.
The League is committed to teaching safe riding practices. We believe forming high school teams is the best way for students to learn how to ride safely. To learn safe riding technique or learn how to teach these skills, join our next rider camp or coaches conference. For up to date news and info join our e-mail list, or send an e-mail directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how you’d like to get involved.
The SoCal High School Cycling League works to establish and maintain safe, quality interscholastic mountain bike programs. The League is responsible for establishing a climate that will:
- Provide students who have the desire to mountain bike with the coaching and camaraderie that will help them achieve both competitive and non-competitive cross-country mountain biking goals in a safe and enjoyable manner;
- Develop an awareness of what it is to be an amateur athlete that is both gracious and respectful to their community;
- Create an environment in which they may discover new friendships and find role models;
- Guide students towards learning new skills and disciplines, and spread the foundations of mountain bike racing across the U.S.;
- Foster a responsible attitude toward the use of trails and wilderness;
- Promote the value of cycling to our community as a mode of transportation and as a life long sport.