Comprehensive Leadership for Youth Coaches
The SoCal High School Cycling League’s Coach Training sessions bring together coaches, assistant coaches, ride leaders, and parent volunteers—both new and experienced—to develop skills and knowledge, share strategies, and build community. These sessions promote a holistic approach to coaching that creates an environment in which young people can grow and thrive. This is a great opportunity to spend time in the company of peers and energize for the upcoming season and it’s a core component of the NICA Coach License Program.
We know licensed coaches are the KEY to safe and cohesive programs which give student-athletes the best experiences. We also know that coaches are VOLUNTEERS. As the SoCal League grows we want to do everything we can to lower the barriers of entry to obtaining a NICA Coach License.
For fall/winter 2017 we will be holding all of our seminar training online and our skills and first aid training in person. This will allow a coach to obtain the most time consuming components for a Level 2 license in a single in person weekend and for a Level 3 license in one in person weekend plus 3 evenings online.
Finally, last year we were financially able to dramatically reduce the price for training. We will continue with that pricing this year. Each NICA Approved First Aid + CPR course is $75, each skills training day is $50 and each seminar session is $25.
Coaching Seminars (aka “NICA Leaders Summit 1 Day”)
This training is required for a NICA Level 3 license which allows a coach to fill roles up to and including Head Coach. Following are some of the topics that might be covered during Coaching Seminar day:
- Engaging and Motivating Adolescents & Retaining Girls
- NICA Rulebook
- Race Day: Support, Structure, & Success
- Creating a Holistic Training Program for Student-Athletes
- Getting to “Yes” with School Administrators
- Creating a Strong Team/Parent Community
- Care and Feeding of High School Team Sponsors
- NICA Pit Zone
- Teen Trail Corps
MTB Skills for Coaches (aka “On-the-Bike Skills Training”)
This training is required for NICA Level 2 & 3 licenses. This clinic offers coaches the opportunity to learn the progressive steps needed to teach anyone (even yourself) both basic and advanced mountain biking skills. You will also learn about experiential teaching techniques, how to accommodate different learning styles, and how to create a positive learning environment for young riders. The majority of this clinic will be held outdoors, so please bring your bike and appropriate riding and safety gear for the weather.
NICA Approved First Aid + CPR
NICA requires completion of a first aid component for all Level 2 and 3 licenses. NICA allows coaches who practice less than 60 minutes from Advanced Life Support (paramedic response) to earn a Level 3 license by completing a NICA approved first aid course which can be completed (with CPR) in one day***. A NICA approved first aid course is a Basic First Aid level course certified by a widely recognized certifying agency (ie: AAOS, Red Cross, AMA) to which several NICA specific items have been added. These items include:
- Scenarios tailored specifically to mountain bike related injuries,
- Training scenarios and examples specific to coaches managing groups of teen aged student-athletes while engaged in first aid situations,
- Pre-planning practices so you have to use your first aid training as little as possible (ingress and egress, maps, knowing the area, radios and cell phones, equipment, clothing, food and hydration)
*** Coaches whose teams practice more than 60 minutes from Advanced Life Support must still hold a valid Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certification to obtain a Level 3 license.
If a link below is active registration is open for that section!
*** If you are registering more than one person for a class please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the first and last names and email addresses of those who you registered***
Available Coach Training Courses in SoCal:
* September 5-7, 2017: Coach Training: Leaders Summit Seminars, Online: Complete!
* October 7, 2017: Complete!
* October 8, 2017: Coach Training: First Aid + CPR, Westlake Village: Complete!
* November 7-9, 2017: Coach Training: Leaders Summit Seminars, Online: Complete!
* December 2, 2017: Coach Training: First Aid + CPR, Vail Lake Complete!
* December 3, 2017: Coach Training: Skills, Vail Lake. Complete!
* December 9, 2017: Coach Training: First Aid + CPR, Beaumont High School. Complete!
* January 6, 2018: Coach Training: First Aid + CPR, Los Olivos
* January 7, 2018: Coach Training: Skills, Los Olivos
* January 23-25, 2018: Coach Training: Leaders Summit Seminars, Online
For questions please contact email@example.com