Comprehensive Leadership for Youth Coaches
The SoCal High School Cycling League’s Coach Training program brings together coaches, assistant coaches, and ride leaders —both new and experienced—to develop skills and knowledge, share strategies, and build community. These sessions promote a holistic approach to coaching that helps to create an environment in which young people can grow and thrive. This is a great opportunity to spend time in the company of peers and energize for the upcoming season and it’s a core component of the NICA Coach License Program.
We know licensed coaches are the KEY to safe and cohesive programs which give student-athletes the best experiences. We also know that coaches are VOLUNTEERS. As the SoCal League grows we want to do everything we can to lower the barriers of entry to obtaining a NICA Coach License. We also hope that the revisions to the program in reduced cost and increased convenience over the last couple of years will encourage ALL coaches to obtain a Level 3 license!
NEW THIS SEASON! Teams (or groups of teams in an area) can now schedule On The Bike Skills 101 and NICA Approved First Aid/ CPR training in their area! Team Directors should email League Director Matt Gunnell at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how to do this!
Be sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom to find all of the SoCal specific options!
NICA Leaders Summit
This 9 hour class MUST be completed one time to earn a Level 3 license. This class MAY be repeated for 9 CEUs. Completion and maintenance of a NICA Level 3 license allows a coach to fill roles up to and including Head Coach. Following are some of the topics that might be covered during Coaching Seminars:
- Engaging and Motivating Adolescents & Retaining Girls
- NICA Rulebook
- Race Day: Support, Structure, & Success
- Creating a Holistic Training Program for Student-Athletes
- Getting to “Yes” with School Administrators
- Creating a Strong Team/Parent Community
- Care and Feeding of High School Team Sponsors
- NICA Pit Zone
- Teen Trail Corps
The SoCal League has moved this course online and teaches it as a 3 evening webinar (usually Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings from 7:00-10:0 PM).
Scheduled NICA Leaders Summit Courses in SoCal:
- Online Webinar. September 11-13, 2018. 7-10:00 PM each night. Complete! Thank you!
- Online Webinar. October 16-18, 2018. 7-10:00 PM each night. Complete! Thank you!
- Online Webinar. December 4-6, 2018. 7-10:00 PM each night. REGISTER
On-The-Bike Skills 101 for Coaches
This 4 hour class MUST be completed one time to earn a Level 2 or 3 license. This class MAY be repeated for 4 CEUs. This clinic offers coaches the opportunity to learn the progressive steps needed to teach anyone basic mountain biking skills. You will also learn about experiential teaching techniques, how to accommodate different learning styles, and how to create a positive learning environment for young riders. The majority of this clinic will be held outdoors, so please bring your bike and appropriate riding and safety gear for the weather.
Scheduled On The Bike Skills 101 Courses in SoCal:
- 9/8/18 Morning in San Diego: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/8/18 Afternoon in San Diego: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/22/18 Morning in Irvine: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/22/18 Afternoon in Irvine: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/22/18 Morning in La Canada: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/22/18 Afternoon in La Canada: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/29/18 Morning in Murrieta: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/29/18 Afternoon in Murrieta: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/29/18 Morning in Escondido: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/29/18 Afternoon in Escondido: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/30/18 Morning in Yucaipa: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/30/18 Afternoon in Yucaipa: Complete! Thank you!
- 10/20/18 Morning in Beaumont: Complete! Thank you!
- 10/2018 Afternoon in Beaumont: Complete! Thank you!
- 11/03/18 Morning in Castaic: Complete! Thank you!
- 11/03/18 Afternoon in Castaic: Complete! Thank you!
- 11/18/18 Morning in Santa Barbara: Complete! Thank you!
- 11/18/18 Afternoon in Santa Barbara: Complete! Thank you!
- 12/15/18 Morning in Tehachapi: REGISTER
- 12/15/18 Afternoon in Tehachapi: REGISTER
NICA Approved First Aid + CPR
NICA requires completion and current certification of a first aid component for all Level 2 and 3 licenses. NICA allows coaches who practice less than 60 minutes from “definitive care” (paramedic response) to earn a Level 2 or 3 license by completing a NICA approved first aid course which can be completed (with CPR) in one day***. A NICA approved first aid course is a Basic First Aid level course certified by a widely recognized certifying agency (ie: AAOS, Red Cross, AMA) to which several NICA specific items have been added. These items include:
- Scenarios tailored specifically to mountain bike related injuries,
- Training scenarios and examples specific to coaches managing groups of teen aged student-athletes while engaged in first aid situations,
- Pre-planning practices so you have to use your first aid training as little as possible (ingress and egress, maps, knowing the area, radios and cell phones, equipment, clothing, food and hydration)
*** Coaches whose teams practice more than 60 minutes from “definitive care” must still hold a valid Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certification (or above) to obtain a Level 2 or 3 license.
For more information on NICA First Aid requirements and which is appropriate for your license please look HERE.
Following are Trainers for NICA Approved First Aid/ CPR. Teams may contact and schedule training with them directly OR contact Matt Gunnell at email@example.com with a request to schedule a class:
- Michael Booker, C.A.S.E., firstname.lastname@example.org, (661) 237-3006, $100 per student, 12 students maximum per class.
- Zsolt Felenyi, ZF Educational Services, ZFeducationalservices@gmail.com, (818) 620-0959, $100 per student, 12 students maximum per class. Also available to teach a 16 hour Wilderness First Aid course via private arrangements.
Scheduled NICA Approved First Aid/ CPR Courses in SoCal:
- 9/22/18 in Hemet: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/29/18 in Yucaipa: Complete! Thank you!
- 10/06/18 in La Canada: Complete! Thank you!
- 10/20/18 in Escondido: Complete! Thank you!
- 10/27/18 in Santa Clarita: Complete! Thank you!
- 11/03/18 in Tustin: Complete! Thank you!
- 11/17/18 in Santa Barbara: Complete! Thank you!
- 11/18/18 in Newbury Park: Complete! Thank you!
- 12/02/18 in Temecula: FULL
- 12/08/18 in Beaumont: FULL
- 12/16/18 in Redlands: FULL
- 01/12/19 in Temecula: REGISTER
SoCal League Office Hours for Coaches
The SoCal League is hosting a series of bi-weekly online “office hours” calls for the 2019 season. All calls last one hour and begin at 7:00 PM. The calls are open to all current coaches who wish to attend and are being offered with the intent of giving you, the coaches, a more direct way to interact with both your peers and league leadership regarding questions, concerns, or ideas that arise throughout the season. Each call is capped at 100 participants, first to click the link first served, and each will be broken into two parts with the first being review of pre-submitted topics and the second being open discussion. To submit a topic for discussion please email email@example.com at least 24 hours prior to scheduled call times.
- 12/03/18 Monday ENTER MEETING
- 12/19/18 Wednesday ENTER MEETING
- 01/02/19 Wednesday ENTER MEETING
- 01/14/19 Monday ENTER MEETING
- 01/30/19 Wednesday ENTER MEETING
- 02/11/19 Monday ENTER MEETING
- 02/27/19 Wednesday ENTER MEETING
- 03/11/19 Monday ENTER MEETING
- 03/27/19 Wednesday ENTER MEETING
- 04/08/19 Monday ENTER MEETING
- 04/22/19 Wednesday ENTER MEETING
- 05/06/19 Monday ENTER MEETING