Comprehensive Leadership for Youth Coaches
The SoCal High School Cycling League’s Coach Training sessions bring together coaches, assistant coaches, and ride leaders —both new and experienced—to develop skills and knowledge, share strategies, and build community. These sessions promote a holistic approach to coaching that creates an environment in which young people can grow and thrive. This is a great opportunity to spend time in the company of peers and energize for the upcoming season and it’s a core component of the NICA Coach License Program.
We know licensed coaches are the KEY to safe and cohesive programs which give student-athletes the best experiences. We also know that coaches are VOLUNTEERS. As the SoCal League grows we want to do everything we can to lower the barriers of entry to obtaining a NICA Coach License.
NEW THIS SEASON! Teams (or groups of teams in an area) can now schedule On The Bike Skills 101 and NICA Approved First Aid/ CPR training in their area! Team Directors should email League Director Matt Gunnell at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how to do this!
NICA Leaders Summit
This 9 hour class MUST be completed one time to earn a Level 3 license. This class MAY be repeated for 9 CEUs. Completion and maintenance of a NICA Level 3 license allows a coach to fill roles up to and including Head Coach. Following are some of the topics that might be covered during Coaching Seminars:
- Engaging and Motivating Adolescents & Retaining Girls
- NICA Rulebook
- Race Day: Support, Structure, & Success
- Creating a Holistic Training Program for Student-Athletes
- Getting to “Yes” with School Administrators
- Creating a Strong Team/Parent Community
- Care and Feeding of High School Team Sponsors
- NICA Pit Zone
- Teen Trail Corps
The SoCal League has moved this course online and teaches it as a 3 evening webinar (usually Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings from 7:00-10:0 PM).
Scheduled NICA Leaders Summit Courses in SoCal:
- Online Webinar. September 11-13, 2018. 7-10:00 PM each night.Complete! Thank you!
- Online Webinar. October 16-18, 2018. 7-10:00 PM each night. REGISTER
- Online Webinar. December 4-6, 2018. 7-10:00 PM each night. REGISTER
On-The-Bike Skills 101 for Coaches
This 4 hour class MUST be completed one time to earn a Level 2 or 3 license. This class MAY be repeated for 4 CEUs. This clinic offers coaches the opportunity to learn the progressive steps needed to teach anyone basic mountain biking skills. You will also learn about experiential teaching techniques, how to accommodate different learning styles, and how to create a positive learning environment for young riders. The majority of this clinic will be held outdoors, so please bring your bike and appropriate riding and safety gear for the weather.
Scheduled On The Bike Skills 101 Courses in SoCal:
- 9/8/18 Morning in San Diego: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/8/18 Afternoon in San Diego: Complete! Thank you!
- 9/22/18 Morning in Irvine: FULL
- 9/22/18 Afternoon in Irvine: FULL
- 9/22/18 Morning in La Canada: FULL
- 9/22/18 Afternoon in La Canada: FULL
- 9/29/18 Morning in Murrieta: FULL
- 9/29/18 Afternoon in Murrieta: FULL
- 9/29/18 Morning in Escondido: FULL
- 9/29/18 Afternoon in Escondido: FULL
- 9/30/18 Morning in Yucaipa: FULL
- 9/30/18 Afternoon in Yucaipa: FULL
- 10/13/18 Morning in Santa Barbara: REGISTER
- 10/13/18 Afternoon in Santa Barbara: REGISTER
- 10/20/18 Morning in Beaumont: REGISTER
- 10/2018 Afternoon in Beaumont: REGISTER
- 11/03/18 Morning in Castaic: REGISTER
- 11/03/18 Afternoon in Castaic: REGISTER
NICA Approved First Aid + CPR
NICA requires completion and current certification of a first aid component for all Level 2 and 3 licenses. NICA allows coaches who practice less than 60 minutes from “definitive care” (paramedic response) to earn a Level 2 or 3 license by completing a NICA approved first aid course which can be completed (with CPR) in one day***. A NICA approved first aid course is a Basic First Aid level course certified by a widely recognized certifying agency (ie: AAOS, Red Cross, AMA) to which several NICA specific items have been added. These items include:
- Scenarios tailored specifically to mountain bike related injuries,
- Training scenarios and examples specific to coaches managing groups of teen aged student-athletes while engaged in first aid situations,
- Pre-planning practices so you have to use your first aid training as little as possible (ingress and egress, maps, knowing the area, radios and cell phones, equipment, clothing, food and hydration)
*** Coaches whose teams practice more than 60 minutes from “definitive care” must still hold a valid Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certification (or above) to obtain a Level 2 or 3 license.
For more information on NICA First Aid requirements and which is appropriate for your license please look HERE.
Following are Trainers for NICA Approved First Aid/ CPR. Teams may contact and schedule training with them directly OR contact Matt Gunnell at email@example.com with a request to schedule a class:
- Michael Booker, C.A.S.E., firstname.lastname@example.org, (661) 237-3006, $100 per student, 12 students maximum per class.
- Zsolt Felenyi, ZF Educational Services, ZFeducationalservices@gmail.com, (818) 620-0959, $100 per student, 12 students maximum per class. Also available to teach a 16 hour Wilderness First Aid course via private arrangements.
Scheduled NICA Approved First Aid/ CPR Courses in SoCal: