NICA Approved First Aid for Coach Licenses through Level 3
In October 2016 NICA and its member leagues launched an updated Coach Licensing program that begins with 3 license levels (Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3). A Level 3 license will be needed for all team Head Coaches (new teams will be offered a grace period to allow coaches to earn a Level 3 license while still serving in a Head Coach role). Existing licenses will be converted over to corresponding levels of new licenses.
NICA requires completion of a first aid component for all Level 2 and 3 licenses. As part of this update NICA will be allowing coaches who practice less than 60 minutes from Advanced Life Support (paramedic response) to earn a Level 3 license by completing a NICA approved first aid course which can be completed (with CPR) in one day***. A NICA approved first aid course is a Basic First Aid level course certified by a widely recognized certifying agency (ie: AAOS, Red Cross, AMA) to which several NICA specific items have been added. These items include:
- Scenarios tailored specifically to mountain bike related injuries,
- Training scenarios and examples specific to coaches managing groups of teen aged student-athletes while engaged in first aid situations,
- Pre-planning practices so you have to use your first aid training as little as possible (ingress and egress, maps, knowing the area, radios and cell phones, equipment, clothing, food and hydration)
*** Coaches whose teams practice more than 60 minutes from Advanced Life Support must still hold a valid Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certification to obtain a Level 3 license.
NICA Approved Courses in SoCal this season:
- Saturday September 24 at Beaumont HS (Cherry Valley): Thanks for attending!
- Sunday September 25 at Beaumont HS (Cherry Valley):Thanks for attending!
- Saturday December 3 at Sequoyah MS (Pasadena):Thanks for attending!
- SundayDecember 4 at Sequoyah MS (Pasadena):Thanks for attending!