NICA Approved First Aid for Coach Licenses through Level 3
NICA requires completion of a first aid component for all Level 2 and 3 licenses. NICA allows coaches who practice less than 60 minutes from Advanced Life Support (paramedic response) to earn a Level 3 license by completing a NICA approved first aid course which can be completed (with CPR) in one day***. A NICA approved first aid course is a Basic First Aid level course certified by a widely recognized certifying agency (ie: AAOS, Red Cross, AMA) to which several NICA specific items have been added. These items include:
- Scenarios tailored specifically to mountain bike related injuries,
- Training scenarios and examples specific to coaches managing groups of teen aged student-athletes while engaged in first aid situations,
- Pre-planning practices so you have to use your first aid training as little as possible (ingress and egress, maps, knowing the area, radios and cell phones, equipment, clothing, food and hydration)
*** Coaches whose teams practice more than 60 minutes from Advanced Life Support must still hold a valid Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certification to obtain a Level 3 license.
***Mature student-athletes are welcome and encouraged to complete this class!
*** If you are registering more than one person for a class please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the first and last names and email addresses of those who you registered***
Available NICA Approved Courses in SoCal:
* October 8, 2017: Coach Training: First Aid + CPR, Westlake Village
* December 9, 2017: Coach Training: First Aid + CPR, Vail Lake